International Applicant Checklist

In addition to your application, the information requested below must be submitted to complete the application process.

Send all documents to this address:
Admissions Office
Cal Poly
1 Grand Avenue
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407-0031


All official transcripts must be submitted in the native language and accompanied by a certified English translation with the translator certified by one of the following:

First-time Freshman and Graduate Applicants:  Following receipt of your transcripts, an independent evaluation may be required of your international credentials. For more information, navigate directly to “International Academic Evaluations.”

Transfer Applicants (Applicants transferring from an international university):  In addition to your transcripts, an international academic evaluation will be required from World Education Services, Inc. For more information, navigate directly to “International Academic Evaluations.” *Please note that your international university must be recognized by the International Association of Universities ( in order to be considered for admission at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo*

Have your official transcripts/certificates and evidence of graduation from secondary school sent directly from the institution.



SAT or ACT (Required for First-time Freshman Applicants Only)

TheCal Poly requires that test scores be sent electronically either from the testing agency or via the Cal State Apply website. Paper test scores will not be accepted.

Order ACT scores by clicking here.

Order SAT 1 scores by clicking here.

ACT - (Cal Poly's code for ACT: 0188)
SAT - (Cal Poly's code for SAT: 4038)


The TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) is required* for all applicants whose native language is not English. 

*An automatic waiver of TOEFL or IELTS will be given to graduate applicants who have earned an undergraduate degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education.

Undergraduate applicants may be eligible for a waiver of TOEFL or IELTS if they have been educated for a minimum of three years at an institution whose language of instruction is English.  Transfer applicants must also have completed all General Education Area A courses (English Composition, Critical Thinking, and Public Speaking) with a ‘B’ or higher grade. General Education Area A courses that are currently in progress will not be taken into consideration for a TOEFL/IELTS waiver request.

To request a waiver of TOEFL or IELTS, complete the appropriate form below and submit to 

For a freshman, click here.
For transfers, click here.

Waiver requests will be treated as an appeal and will be reviewed on an individual basis.  Those requesting a waiver can expect to learn the final decision by way of a formal letter sent to their mailing address within three weeks of receipt of the waiver request.  Waivers will not be granted without submission of official transcripts.

Additional Information:

TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) must be taken within the last 2 years with:

  • a minimum score of 550 (paper version)
  • or a minimum internet-based score of 80

*Cal Poly will not accept paper-based scores for test dates after November 2017

IELTS (International English Language Testing System) must be taken within 2 years with:

  • a minimum score of 6.5 for undergraduate applicants
  • a minimum score of 6.5 is required for admission to a graduate program. However, individual programs may require higher scores; applicants are advised to review program-specific requirements.

Cal Poly's institution code is 4038.

This requirement does not apply if your country of citizenship is listed below as the requirement is waived for the following countries:

British Virgin Islands
Canada (except Quebec)
Cayman Islands
Falkland Islands
New Zealand
Sierra Leone
Solomon Islands
South Africa
St. Lucia
Trinidad & Tobago
United Kingdom

Additional Requirements

If you are offered admission to Cal Poly as an international applicant, you may be issued an I-20 to attend the university. Additional documents are required for the I-20 issuance. Please see the International Center website for more information.

Back to top


Related Content

Widget - Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate Students

Undergraduate Students

Widget - After Graduation

After Graduation

Graduate Students

Widget - International Students

International Students

International Students

Widget - Visit Us

Visit My Cal Poly Portal

Visit My Cal Poly Portal