Self-guided tours are an alternative for visitors unable to visit our campus for the general campus tour. Several options are offered, including a GPS unit from the Admissions Office to downloadable tour apps for Apple products and Android platforms.
These are Cal Poly's options:
1. GPS (Global Position System) Self-Guided Tour
- Check-out a GPS unit from the Admissions Office (Building 1, Room 206), Monday through Friday, 8:00am to 3:30pm (final device checkout time). Just bring a form of identification.
- View GPS introduction video and tutorial on GPS unit after checkout.
- Begin your self-guided tour; Student-narrated videos automatically trigger based on the user’s location, explaining the different buildings, departments, and resources on campus as the visitor approaches them.
- The GPS Tour device uses video, audio, musical soundtrack and still photography to deliver content to users at 18 points of interest on campus. (All video is close-captioned)
- Cal Poly is the first college or university in the nation to offer the progressive GPS tour guide for campus tours.
2. GPS iPhone/iPod and Android Tour
Cal Poly offers campus tours downloadable from Apple through the App store to your iPhone/iPod or Android (this option is not available to other smart phones at this time). Follow these instructions to download the tour:
- Click on the App store
- search for "goexplore" (no space)
- For iPhone/iPod: Select the application titled : GoExplore Cal Poly - BarZ Adventures and install*
- For the Android: Select the application titled : GoExplore Cal Poly - BarZ Adventures and install
- Once installed, open the application and select a Cal Poly Tour from the list
3. Self-Guided Map Tour
- Campus visitors can also print out a downloadable self-guided tour map and use these to navigate the campus.
- The Admissions office and the University Union Information Desk are open Monday-Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm and the University Union Information Desk is also open on the weekends from 10:00 am – 7:00 pm on Saturdays and Noon – 7:00 pm on Sundays.
- To better navigate the campus, we recommend that visitors print and bring a campus map prior to visiting campus.
Before you begin:
Cal Poly takes pride in its "open door" policy; you are more than welcome to observe any class with an open door. However, it is suggested you contact the department or college you wish to observe to make prior arrangements for visitation. Please bear in mind that classes are conducted year-round and at all times of the day, except for weekends and major holidays.