Returning Cal Poly Students

Former Students Returning to Cal Poly in the Same Major

Term Application Postmark Deadline
Fall quarter July 1st
Winter quarter October 1st
Spring quarter February 1st
Summer quarter Closed
  • Formers who left Cal Poly in good standing (2.0 or higher gpa), before completing their degree, and who wish to resume their former program (major) at Cal Poly, can essentially be reinstated after submitting a paper CSU undergraduate application and transcripts from any institutions attended after leaving Cal Poly. A returning student is one who has no enrollment record for 3 consecutive regular terms (fall, winter, spring). If you have missed 2 terms, you may enroll without completing a returning student application. Once you have missed 3 terms, you must complete a returning student application.

    The easiest way to submit the paper application is to come to the Cal Poly Admissions Office (Administration Bldg., Rm. 206, M-F, 8am-5pm) with your personal check in the amount of $55, payable to 'Cal Poly', for the application fee.

    If you are not in the local area, you may download and print an application form below:

    If you are an UNDERGRADUATE and applying to the Fall 2016, Winter 2017 or Spring 2017, use this application.

    If you are a GRADUATE and applying to the Fall 2016, Winter 2017 or Spring 2017, use this application.

    You will need to complete the application, write 'Former/Returning Student' at the top of the application and mail it, along with your check for $55 to: Cal Poly Admissions, San Luis Obispo, CA 93407 before the stated deadline above.
  • Former students who did not leave the university in good standing (i.e. academically dismissed/disqualified), will have their application and transcripts sent to their department/college for review before reinstatement can occur. Applicants in this category are advised to contact their department or advising center and begin dialogue about satisfying any requirements before submitting the application, per the instructions outlined above.

Former Students Returning to Cal Poly in a New Major

  • Former Cal Poly students who have not completed an undergraduate degree, who wish to return to Cal Poly in a new major will be given the same consideration for admission as new transfer applicants. The application filing period for the fall term is October 1st to November 30th of the previous year. Cal Poly does not consider undergraduate applications for terms other than fall. Click here to view the Transfer Selection Criteria for the major to which you are applying.

Back to top