Why Come to Cal Poly? Learn by Doing
From all over the world, students come to Cal Poly to experience Cal Poly's unique 'Learn by Doing' approach. At Cal Poly, regardless of the major or program, the curriculum intentionally integrates theoretical learning with practical learning experiences. Working outside the confines of traditional classrooms, students participate as members of faculty-directed development teams, applying theory to real-world projects, problems and challenges.
This enables students to acquire job-ready skills, including:
Professional project and time management
Creative problem solving
Product invention, innovation and development
Advanced technological literacy
Leadership and teamwork
Technology-centered research and learning
Learn more about what Cal Poly has to offer students here:
What is an international applicant?
International applicants include those who hold US visas as students, exchange visitors, or those in other nonimmigrant classifications. As part of the California State University (CSU) system, Cal Poly must assess the academic preparation of international students and uses separate requirements and application filing dates in the admission of international students.
If you are not an international applicant, please proceed to the appropriate section that accurately matches your situation.
In this section
- International Applicant Process – view the process for applying to Cal Poly.
- Your Application and Deadlines – view the deadlines for international applicants.
- Checklist - view the checklist of requirements for international applicants.
- Student Budget – view the cost of attendance and additional requirements.
- MyCalPoly – view the process for accessing our University’s Portal system once your application has been loaded to our student database.
- TOEFL or IELTS - view requirement for applicants whose native language is not English.
- Country Criteria - view requirements for international students by country of origin.