As a first-time freshman applicant, you are:
- currently in high school (with or without completed college work)
- OR you have graduated from high school and have NOT attended any college AFTER high school graduation and prior to entering Cal Poly.
If this does not accurately describe you or if you are an international student, please proceed to the appropriate section that accurately matches your situation.
In this section
- Your Application and Deadlines – view the deadlines and the admissions options for freshman applicants.
- Selection Criteria – view how freshman applicants compete to be selected for admission.
- Submitting Documents – view a quick note about NOT submitting documents unless requested to do so.
- Selection Timeline – view when selection is made for undergraduate applicants.
- MyCalPoly – view the process for accessing our University’s Portal system once your application has been loaded to our student database.
- Application Changes – discusses allowed changes to your submitted application and the process for submission.
- Residency Information – discusses the rules governing residency requirements for the California State University sytem.
- Testing Information – view information about submitting standardized tests to Cal Poly.
Remember, these are the steps for applying…
- Explore and choose a major to which you will apply since Cal Poly requires applicants to declare a major on the application.
- Review the selection criteria for your intended major by selecting ‘selection criteria’ from the quicklinks menu.
- Decide which application option under which you are applying: the Early Admissions Decision option (deadline – October 31st) or the Regular Admissions Decision option (deadline – Nov 30th) and submit.
- Please Note: Applicants to the majors of Art & Design and Music may not apply through the Early Admissions Decision program since a portfolio or audition is required for those majors. Select applicants to the Art and Design and Music majors will be invited to submit either an portfolio for Art and Design or schedule an audition for the Music department (or submit an audition recording). Qualified applicants for both programs will notified in mid- January with submission information. Interested applicants can link to the Art and Design website or Music website for more information.