Here is the application process for undergraduates when applying to Cal Poly:
- Fully explore and decide on the major or program to which you want to apply. Cal Poly applicants must declare a major upon application and 'undeclared' is not an option. Once selections are made, major changes are not allowed until the first quarter of attendance. Selection to all Cal Poly majors is competitive and we have more qualified applicants than available new student spaces. Therefore, Cal Poly rarely considers alternate or 'second choice' majors. Choosing the major that best fits your educational goals is one of the most important decisions you can make as an applicant.
- Review the selection criteria for your level to ensure you are maximizing your opportunity for selection. Admission to Cal Poly is competitive in all majors and applicants are advised to read the selection criteria prior to applying.
- Submit your application online at www.calstate.edu/apply by the deadline for the quarter to which you are applying. Again, late applications are not accepted. Do not send any supporting documents such as essays, resumes, portfolios, recommendation letters, or transcripts upon application. Applicants will be contacted if additional documents are required. Note: Unsolicited documents and transcripts will not be processed.
If you are applying to another CSU campus, submit a separate application for each campus. Do this even if you indicate an alternate campus on your application.
- If you are mailing in your $55 application fee by check, make it payable to "Cal Poly State University" and mail to this address here.
- After submitting an online application, you will be emailed by Cal Poly, acknowledging receipt of your application.
- Later in the application period, after your application has been uploaded to Cal Poly's database, you will receive another email from the Cal Poly Admissions Office with instructions to access our University portal, MyCalPoly.
- The Cal Poly Admissions Office will then continue to communicate with you throughout the application process with any updates and/or further instructions.
Graduates and Returning Cal Poly Students should review those sections under the ‘Applicant’ tab for additional requirements beyond submitting the application.
EMAIL ALERT: When you apply to Cal Poly and you use Gmail to receive emails, you are advised to add the email address: email@example.com to your contact list. This will ensure you receive emails sent from the Admissions Office in a timely fashion. You should also check your spam folder for any emails from firstname.lastname@example.org. Email is our primary form of communication and emails are sent from email@example.com.